PROBLEMS

PROBLEMS

Finally on the road. I can’t deny it was an unusual experience, it was a bit like when I first drove it around the block for the first time on East 22nd st in Tucson, Arizona. The car now looked even better than it did way back in 1989, I wish I could say the…

FINAL CHECKS

FINAL CHECKS

With the steering done I’d now run out of excuses not to fire this thing up. I’d checked it all over time and time again but I’d built the motor 8 years ago and was expecting an epic, youtube failure lurking around the corner.     A proud moment, the first gallon of gasoline is…

ALIGNMENT

ALIGNMENT

After a day googling the subject I tackled the steering alignment initially using a laser level and string.   It’s the first time I’d used a bubble gauge. To get the wheel angle right I spotted my cam degree wheel hanging up in the garage. I’m not planning on degreeing any more cams in the…

INTERIOR

INTERIOR

I started with the headliner and the first job was soundproofing. There’s a ton of bewildering online advice about soundproofing products, some are cheap, some ridiculously expensive. I went for silent coat which seemed to get good reviews and was cheaper than Dynamat. The vinyl headliner had been rolled up in the loft for eight years…

WIRING

WIRING

After plenty of research on www.chevytalk.com I bought an American Autowire classic update kit. It’s hard to fault these kits as every wire is clearly labeled and the instructions are superb. There’s also forum tech help if you have any questions along the way. I’d recommend you buy a proper terminal crimping tool and maybe some…

PAINT

PAINT

I’m scarred for life when it comes to the paint. After much deliberation I thought I’d commissioned one of the best painters in the country to paint my 57. Despite my unswerving patience and diplomacy, three re-negotiations on price, multiple promises of completion dates he persistently failed to do anything to time frames and agreed…

BODY ON FRAME

BODY ON FRAME

The main body was now straight and in primer and ready for having the firewall, dash and boot area painted before going back on the frame. I’d gone through a phase of thinking I’d like the car in Turquoise. After much deliberation I plumped for red again but fancied a richer red than the “orangey”…

BODYWORK BEGINS

BODYWORK BEGINS

With the frame brackets and mounts all sorted it was taken back to the paint shop to be shot blasted and painted in epoxy primer and 2K satin black, the rotisserie came in handy again. I was hoping the old doors would be OK with only minor rust in the corners, this inevitably turned out…

FRAME WORK

FRAME WORK

The old powerglide mounts had been burned off with a torch and the frame was really butchered in the past (not by me I might add) which needed patching. I also added a steering box support bracket at the top for the Delphi 600 steering box which I’d bought way back. Just after I’d done…

ON THE ROTISSERIE

ON THE ROTISSERIE

Once the strength was back in the body it was bolted up to the rotisserie, this was made using some plans I found here: credit to www.57rustbucket.com John’s website and 57 restoration was an inspiration and cracking reference for anyone attempting a tri-five restoration. Not sure what happened to John at 57rustbucket as his 57 build…